Devil's Backbone Bridge - 1824
In 1824 the Washington County authorities contracted for no less than four stone bridges. This beautiful span was built by Jabez Kenny. It spans the ford that General Braddock’s redcoats, colonial militia, and their Indian allies used to cross Little Beaver Creek in 1755 during the French and Indian War. The bridge needs substantial maintenance to remain in operation and its future is in question.
Copyright © 2012 by Daniel Humphries-Russ, all rights reserved.