1896 - Finksburg Methodist Protestant Church
Subsequent to the Methodist mergers, Finksburg Methodist Protestant Church became Mount Zion United Methodist Church. Located on the north side of Old Westminster Pike the church is south of today’s Westminster Pike, MD Route 140. Construction began on Finksburg Methodist Protestant Church in 1896. In September, 1896, as the rafters were being erected, the new church was blown down in a severe storm. Work resumed immediately and the new church was finished without incident. Mt. Zion is three bays wide by four bays deep and two stories high. Built in the Gothic Revival style, the brick building rests on a stone foundation and has a gabled roof. The front of the church faces south and features a bell tower. The main entrance has double doors capped by a gothic arched transom with gothic arched windows on either side, a gothic window above the doors with a circular window above that. The north side of the building features an apse.